Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Importing the code...

I have a little catching up to do so lets get to it. My last blog was about my experience installing the Subversion client and playing around in the Subversion playground Dr. Bowring setup for the class. The other part of that assignment was to set up the server side of Subversion locally on our machines. I did so with the assistance of the Subversion book Dr. B recommended. There were several options for setting up Subversion with different configurations. I choose just set up a local Subversion server to track all of my documents, this may be useful for tracking changes made to my school documents or other files stored on my machine. It only took a couple of commands to do this and it was set up. I played with it a bit but I think I will need to become more familiar with this tool before I put it to such use.

The past couple classes have been mostly discussion sessions. This past class we discussed our experiences at attempting the most recent assignment, obtain our projects source code and build it. Our team did well and has posted its experience report here. Some teams were having some real problems but so far (fingers crossed) everything has been going real smooth for us.

After our team gave its experience report Dr Bowring suggested that we get our source code setup on the Subversion server. This sounded like a great idea so I jumped on it when I had a free moment. Our code came from a Git repository and it needed to be migrated into a SVN repo. Therefore I looked for an article on-line on how to migrate a Git repo to a subversion repo but was unable to find any clear articles on this process. Strangely enough, there are tons of the reverse out there on the web, go figure??? So I decided to manually remove the .git files. This required me doing this this through a command line because the files were locked and I did not even have the option to delete them in the OS GUI. After displaying all the hidden files, I was able to remove all files ending in .git.

After the project was 'clean' I needed to figure out how to get the source code onto the server and versioned properly. I wasted a bit of time trying to just commit it for the first time but ran into nothing but problems. It appeared to begin to copy but would never finish or would fail with an error. So, I did some reading in the Subversion book and figured out it needed to be imported for the first time in order to set up the versioning of the files properly.

It took a very long time to finish the import but when it finished our source code showed up in the playground repo. Awesome!!! Just as a test, I removed all the source code from my working space and updated my folder. Presto, it was back. Just to make sure everything imported properly onto the server, I rebuilt the code I downloaded from the server and ran it. Banshee fired right up with no issues. Looks like the import was a success.

Now that the code is set up in the Playground repo we have moved on th the next stage of our project, locating and fixing a bug. We think we have already located the bug we want to fix. We currently using MonoDevelop to explore the code in order to find this bug. At first it appeared that this was going to be an easy fix but we have yet to locate the bug within the code. We do have a community of help out there so we decided to reach out to them for the first time for help. Jesse sent out an email to the emailing list explaining the bug we have taken interest in and asking for help on it's general whereabouts in the code.

As of right now, we have not heard anything back yet from the community. BUT, we are hopeful considering Jesse just sent this email out earlier today. Feedback or not, we are pushing forward with our project and will continue to pursue this bug.

No comments:

Post a Comment