Monday, February 28, 2011

Gwibber success!!!

Success at last!!! Finally was able to get the Gwibber library installed along with its long chain of dependencies. I was able to accomplish this without any help from the mailing list. I'm proud of myself because this setup has been one of my biggest challenges yet in this project and I worked through it. It was a frustrating couple of days but persistence paid off in this one.

After many failed attempts I decided to remove all of the libraries I installed and start over. I ended up running 'apt-get auto-remove' as well to clean out unused packages. That removed a lot of things, I was kind of nervous doing this but I rolled with it and it payed off. I did have to go back and reinstall a few 'accidentally' removed packages because of this command.

After that I went through the process of obtaining all the packages one more time and was able to get it installed. On my last attempt I did try something different. Instead of using 'apt-get' to install most of the packages, I installed each dependency by downloading the source code. I then compiled each package and installed. This way I was able to make sure all the dependencies for these packages were there. I noticed I had to install several things I do not remember getting when installing the packages through the package manager. Maybe they were automatically added but whatever, the last time worked!

So after getting the libraries installed I set up a project solution and created a small test program that prints to the console using the Gwibber library. It worked...Awesome!

Next up is our time-line for the project. We already have our project picked out, you can find it here. Now we just need to hash out a reasonable plan to complete this thing.

Oh...I just seen an email pop up. Jesse just sent out an email to the lead devs announcing our project selection. Exciting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment